(Picture: Members of Australian Anti-Bases Campaign protest involvement in overseas wars and unnecessary military spending (27 July 2013))
Comment at 28 March 2014
POLIO and SHATTERED HERITAGE in SYRIA
As result of the civil war, poliomyelitis has re-emerged in Syria 14 years after its eradication. In addition to death and dreadful injury, Syrian children now face lifelong disability with various degrees of paralysis. Bombing and shelling in the cities of Syria have destroyed many heritage buildings – that’s in addition to all the schools and hospitals. Lethal warfare extends far beyond the battlefield. If hypothetically the Syrian conflict was taking place with nonlethal technology, you could not rule out damage to buildings and a catastrophic breakdown in health services – but it would seem less likely because almost everyone would still be alive.
One day, except as curios, guns designed for killing people will be illegal
(Sporting guns – for responsible shooters – will be OK)
Explosives will only be used in mining, engineering and fireworks.
7th EUROPEAN SYMPOSIUM on NON-LETHAL WEAPONS
The 7th European Symposium on Non-Lethal Weapons
took place on June 3-5 2013 at its usual location at the Stadthalle in Ettlingen, Germany. The theme for the symposium was ‘how fielded non lethal technologies have performed in real operational environments’. For the conference brochure go to www.non-lethal-weapons.com .
(For comment on the conference see the August 2013 NLS Newsletter.)
The Purpose of Nonlethal Security for Peace
The purpose of the Nonlethal Security for Peace Campaign is to reduce the damage of war.
- Reduce death and injury in warfare by promoting the use of non-damaging technology in conflict resolution
- Influence peace-keeping agencies (such as the UN) to move progressively from lethal to non-lethal weaponry
- Subsequently influence defence forces in nations around the world to make the same transformation to non-lethal defence
- Over the course of time, change world culture from lethal to non-lethal conflict resolution, with the result that the nuclear weapons that threaten our species will finally be eliminated
- By removing lethality from conflict resolution, help to lower the overall level of violence in society, promoting a more peaceful and just world.
INTERESTED IN THE CAMPAIGN?
To join our mailing list – or if you have any questions or comments, please contact us at email@example.com . You can phone us (email us for a number) if you want to talk further about the campaign.